The Dual Small Form-Factor Pluggable Multi-Source Agreement Group (DSFP MSA) has announced a Rev. 1.0 Hardware Specification for the optical module form factor. The DSFP aims to double SFP module density in the same footprint, while interoperating with existing SFP modules and cables.
- DSFP MSA is developing a SFP+/SFP28 compatible form factor for 5G Mobile applications
- DSFP has two TX/RX high speed pin pairs, instead of one TX/RX pin pair in SFP+/SFP28
- DSFP is mechanically the same as SFP+/SFP28 modules
- DSFP host ports accept SFP+/SFP28 modules
- Some SFP+/SFP28 hardware control and alarm pins are not present on DSFP module but the equivalent functions exist via I2C
DSFP Optical Interface
The following figure shows channel orientation of the optical connector when a duplex LC connector as in IEC 61754-20 is used in a DSFP module. The view is from the front of a typical DSFP module, but actual DSFP module design of the heat sink or height of the optical connector may be different than shown