MXC® is a new optical fiber connector system responding to the ever-increasing demand for data which is driving new hardware and applications in data centers and networks. Using advanced high-density interconnect technology, MXC® provides a direct card edge interface to embedded optical engines such as Intel Silicon Photonics chips.
The main advantages of the MXC® compared to conventional fiber optic connectors are:
- Terabit per second bandwidth capability, 64 single-mode fibers at 25 GBit/s = 1.6 TBit/s per connector
- Smaller size providing even greater density
- Expanded beam technology provides a rugged interface
- Lower cost due to fewer parts and no fiber polishing required for assembly
The benefits of the expanded beam lens technology are:
- Larger beam cross section results in decreased impact of debris
- Greater alignment tolerances at the mating plane of the connectors which guarantees consistently low insertion loss and return loss
- Less spring force required for mating
More To Come
Multimode OM3, OM4 and LX cable assemblies are available. Singlemode MXC® is under development. MXC® bulkhead and blindmate connectors for mid- and back-plane card edge applications are under development.
If you want to know more about cable assemblies using the new MXC® connector, get in touch with us!
MXC®, PRIZM MT® and MTP® are registered trademarks of US Conec Ltd.